Saturday, February 15, 2014

HSF14 Challenge #3 - Pink

The pink challenge was a tough one for me for the simple reason that I don’t like pink.  Really, it’s my least favorite color, followed closely by yellow (which is of course the other color challenge this year).  I considered making something for a friend instead of for myself, but time just wouldn’t allow it.  I needed to make it work for my festival costume somehow.  After some reflection, I came up with the idea to make a doublet for my character, and line it in pink.  I could also make the doublet reversible, and provide myself some fun comic bits.  “Oh, are you looking for that thief in the black doublet?  Caaaaan’t be me, I’m wearing pink.”  You get the idea.  I dithered over various shades of dupioni on the fabulous site, and settled on a shade called “Hollywood.”  It was a rosey pink shot with black, so I didn’t think it would be too objectionable.  Well it turned out…beautiful.  I was stunned at how much I liked the color.  So, well done, color challenge.  I may like pink a little more than I did yesterday.  Don’t tell anyone.

I used a picture I saved from Sempstress’s old website to try and mock up a pattern.  I really liked the lines on the style she did. It required some major alteration, but it was a great starting point.  I’m so happy with how the shape turned out.  I bought some black striped home dec fabric from Joann, aiming for “simple, yet elegant.”  After messing about with my pattern pieces, I actually settled on using the wrong side of the fabric for most of it, and the right side for just a few pieces.  I was very pleased with the effect.  I added some simple wings from another doublet pattern and trimmed the whole thing in black velvet ribbon to match the trim on my faire gown.  I closed it up with silver clasps.  There is a duck canvas interlining, and I also backed the silk with black cotton.  

The Challenge: Pink
Fabric: Pink dupioni silk, black striped home dec fabric, duck canvas, black cotton.
Pattern: Based off an image from
Year: Mid-1500’s
Notions: Black velvet ribbon. Silver clasps
How historically accurate is it? The pattern is very similar to the Janet Arnold pattern I’ve used before, with some alterations.  Obviously I use more modern sewing techniques, and use a machine.
Hours to complete: Seriously, I will never be able to keep track. 
First worn: Today, at dress rehearsal!
Total cost: Around $45
The scaled-up pattern - the brown pieces are my alterations.  I did end up having to make some more alterations later on.  But I am struggling to remember to take pictures of the whole process.  Oh, well.

The finished black doublet with just a hint of pink.

You can really see the difference in the two sides of the fabric in this one.

And finally, the pink side of the doublet, with just a hint of black.


  1. The color is wonderful - not the traditional pink that everyone thinks of. Your work on the doublet shows, and it should be a garment that you can wear for years to come. You look wonderful!

  2. Came across this through -- what a kick-arse bodice! Your life looks really interesting and inspirational. Thanks for sharing!